Sunday, May 16, 2010

Random thoughts after reading everyone's blogs/facebook

OK. So I just spent time reading everyone's blogs. It's a fun thing to do on a Sunday morning and I love reading about all my family.

First, I have to respond to Katie's blog about the Farmer's Market. Katie, many kids today don't think they have to listen to anyone! That may be because if someone disciplines them and they go hoome and tell Mom and Dad, Mom and Dad will come to school and defend them! Because their child says they didn't do it and of course, their child NEVER lies! But teachers and adults do because we have nothing better to do than get children in trouble! Can you tell I didn't have the best week at school? One of my boys did not turn in a detention slip or his weekly behavior repoert or his grade progress report because his mom "wants to talk" with me. Mind you, I have had numerous conferences with this parent all year and all that happens is Mom cries, asks him why he did it, he cries and nothing ever changes! But I guess only my children, my nieces, nephews and so on are the only children in the world who ever misbehave :D My children always say I believed the teacher every time. I wonder why? In fact, I remember the night before Jordan had his stroke (he was in 2nd grade). We were discussing what the kid's classes did for Red Ribbon Week and Jordan didn't know because he was in the office. First words out of my mouth were "What did you do to get in trouble?" He did tell me then that he had been hit in the head with a ball but he had said the "office", not the nurse's office. Imagine how I felt the next day when he actually had the stroke!

Chuck has been home this weekkend. He is terribly thin (he looks like the 16 year old I first met many years ago). I really thought he would gain weight just sitting and driving all day. But evidently, he doesn't always eat, and when he does, it's not very well. We have enjoyed the time together, though. We went to see Jordan, Amity and Randi yesterday and took Hannah and Ella with us so that Angie could study for finals. The 3 girls had a blast together! Amity had bought squirt guns and they used them to the full extent! We barbecued and had a great meal! Poor Amity had to go to work after we left last night and we didn't leave till after 9 so I hope she got some rest!

I went to my first meeting about the Colonial Williamsburg trip this summer. Tonight Chuck and I go to a dinner for it and meet all the sponsors at the Los Angeles Country Club. I found out that if I want to extend my trip, all I have to do is get towhere else I want to go and then, if there is any difference in the airfare home from there, pay that difference. So I am really excited! I plan to take the train (I think) to Charlotte and see Linda for a couple days (and whatever nieces and nephews I can see). I will fly home from there. The only bad part is that my 40th reunion is the weekend after Williamsburg so I want to be home for that. (Yes, I am going. I still keep in touch with several high school friend, both from Jordan and Millikan. This one is for Jordan. Millikan's is the next weekend).

Last weekend, I took 2 extra days off from school and went to Arizona. I wanted to be there for Bailey's band concert. The kids did not know I was coming. Jessica picked me up at the airport and we surprised the kids by picking them up at school. It was great fun. I got to go to lunch with just Jessica 2 days in a row. That was nice! We never get to spend time alone without the kids. Friday night we just had a girl's night. Cole and Jason were on the Father/Son campout. I made some gifts for the volunteers at our school, using up some of Jessic'a scraps. They turned out really cute. I also took the 3 Mauss kids and met up with Jennifer, Chad, Kinsy and Madison for pizza on Saturday evening. The cousins all had so much fun together. I am always amazed how close the cousins are even when they don't see each other all that often. (I guess that's how our kids were, too. And still are)

I still don't know where I am teaching or what I am teaching next year. I am pretty frustrated with our district. Our superintendent and board keeps talking about how "transparent" they are but no one will answer any questions. Tenative positons were supposed to be out by 5/15 but the district and union aren't even meeting to decide how to place the teachers from our school until 5/19. We have Open House this Thursday so we can't even start packing up until after that. And of course, I still have to teach so the packing will have to be on my own time. And we have to turn in our keys the day after school gets out. I see a lot of late nights in my future!

I am hosting 2 Japanese exchange students for a week next month. I am looking forward to that. The lady in charge actually wanted me to take 2 more the following week but since that would be the last week of school I didn't feel like I could do it.

Diana, Rich, Adam and Trinity are also coming to visit June 1 & 2. I am looking forward to that! Ella and Trinity got along so well the last time they visited. I met Diana and Rich a couple of weeks ago for Dad's birthday and Mother's Day at Mom and Dad's, too. We had a great dinner and enjoyed the time together.

No comments: