Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Update

Well, my bone density scan came back. I do not have osteoporosis. I do have osteopenia (sp?) which is a loss of mineral in the bone and could lead to osteoporosis but it is normal for a woman my age. I have been reading up on both and the only risk factor I have towards the osteoporosis is that I am white. Not a whole lot I can do about that! I have also learned that your bone density is pretty much determined by the time you are 30. So to any of my nieces out there who aren't 30 yet, drinking soda is one of the worst things you can do for bone density! I know I drank a lot more soda when I was younger but I pretty much gave it up when I went to Weight Watchers in the 80"s (during my 30's). I am supposed to eat a lot of green vegetables but those same vegetables are high in Vitamin K which is bad for my coumadin levels. I can eat them but I have to be consistent about the amount I eat each week. I have noticed that when I eat more than 3 green vegetables in a week, my level goes too high. So I am taking a Calcium Carbonate supplement. The vitamin D helps the bones to absorb the calcium.

I am now off work until Nov. 1. I will miss Back to School night and the first conferences but I will hold my own BTS night when I return. I am doing some planning, working backwards from state testing so that I can be sure I have covered everything before testing.

I am anxious to see everyone in Blythe for Cami's wedding. We will just have to stop quite often on the way and I will probably still be in a wheelchair but at least I get to attend and see a lot of my family!

2 comments:

mom and grandma of BOLTON BUNCH said...

Glad for the test results. Life seems to get more complicated as we get older. But you sound like you are on top of it, and know what you need to do. Good for you. Can't wait to see you in a few weeks. Wish I could've visited you sooner but that just isn't going to happen. Love you

Linda, Mom and Granny said...

Good!